As Hippocrates of Kos (460 – 377 BC), father of medical science, said: “Prevention is better than cure” so:
MICOIL is a nature’s gift to man!
It is a completely natural product based on the fresh juice of green unripe olive fruits.
Based on its quality and its bioactive natural ingredients and characteristics ensured by scientific production and standardization methods, MICOIL is one of the top functional foods.
- The Principal Investigator of the MICOIL study and former Director of 1st Neurology clinic of Medical Department in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, Chair of Greek Federation of Alzheimer’s disease in Greece, and Coordinator of Neurodegenerative Diseases Laboratory Prof. Magda Tsolaki said “To date, there is no other study that has examined in such detail the effects of extra virgin olive oil on the elderly with Mild Cognitive Impairment as a promising solution for cognitive impairment”
- The head of the Biochemistry laboratory of the Chemistry Department in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, Prof. Anastasia Pantazaki said “Εvaluating all the studies of extra virgin olive oil (MICOIL) consumption by patients with MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment), we concluded that by approaching and targeting different mechanisms of the multifactorial Alzheimer’s disease, there are multifunctional beneficial effects in many ways on the patients.
Nutrition & Health Claims
- It is the only early harvest extra virgin olive oil in the world, which proves its exceptional value for health, through multiple scientific studies and clinical research applied on human patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment, which most of the times leads to Alzheimer disease. You may read all the studies’ results in the SCIENCE
- The natural phytochemicals contained in MICOIL like vitamins, unsaturated fatty acids, omega 3, omega 6, omega 9 and polyphenols are bioactive and many of them work naturally and protectively for our health on a balanced diet basis.
- Its name comes from the anagram of the name “Mild Cognitive Impairment” and the word “oil”.
- Its excellent primary packaging of sterilized dark glass pharmaceutical bottles ensures protection from light, and by containing modified nitrogen atmosphere it can be ensured the absence of oxygen and its long the shelf-life. Moreover, the secondary case-box packaging protects MICOIL from high temperature through its air gaps.
- All packaging materials are environmentally friendly.
- The product is not tested on animals, and it is NON GMO.
- MICOIL is a Greek product, and all its studies were executed by Greek scientists and researchers supervised by Greek Universities and Institutions.
- What is olive oil? The so-called olive oil is the juice of the olive fruits, and it is produced directly from olives and only by mechanical methods. It is classified according to its content of free fatty acids and with some special quality characteristics. According to the law, its categories are a) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) this category includes Early Harvest or Fresh EVOO, b) Virgin Olive Oil, c) Olive Oil, d) Refined Olive Oil, e) Lampante Olive Oil, f) Pomace olive oil. So Olive Oli is really a product that holds the 3rd place in the quality ranking.
- What is early harvest EVOO? It is the crown of the extra virgin olive oil. It is considered expensive due to its the low concentration in unripe olives with its limited quantities.
- Why is early harvest EVOO green, fruity with a bitter and spicy taste? It is green due to its high concentration of chlorophyll, because the olive fruit is unripe during its production. The fruity aroma is a key feature of EVOO. Its taste is related to its phenolic content, which have health-protective characteristics. The bitter taste is due to the oleacein and the spicy to the oleocanthal.
- Is MICOIL an olive oil? MICOIL is a very high quality early harvest EVOO, and it is the only one applied on patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment in the world.
- Is MICOIL a medicine? MICOIL is a natural product, which has proven its exceptional value and benefits for brain health, through multiple clinical and laboratory tests in humans.
- Is MICOIL a food supplement? It is a product that comes directly from nature without any mixtures, while food supplements are chemical preparations and may or may not contain some natural substances.
- Is MICOIL getting you fat? According to the clinical study MICOIL and on a balanced Mediterranean diet basis, the recommended daily dose of 15 ml three time per day, did not proved significant results in weight gain.
- Does MICOIL have side effects? As a natural product it has no recorded side effects, but it is advisable to consult your doctor before consuming it
- Can I cook with it? It can be used in cooking or confectionery, but with heat treatment they may lose many of their health-protective properties, so it is recommended to be consumed as they are.
- Consumption above the recommended daily dose? There is no recorded effect in the international literature if a large amount of product is consumed, except perhaps for the possibility of weight gain.
- Corporate Social Responsibility
According to the definition in the Green Paper on Corporate Social Responsibility (European Commission, 2001, p. 8), corporate social responsibility is “a concept whereby companies integrate social and environmental concerns in their business operations and in their interaction with their stakeholders on a voluntary basis.”. (Source: Greek Network for Corporate Social Responsibility)
YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE as a responsible “citizen” towards the society, but also as a living cell of a wider group, proves its interest and sensitivity in terms of respect for human values, society, the development of science and the protection of the environment.
The search for good life quality is something ancient for humans. The company YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE through innovative actions gives to more people the opportunity to access high quality products, and at the same time tries to offer the necessary knowledge, for them to choose their food products.
Respecting the consumer, we believe that he needs to know, how the production was made and where the product he is going to buy comes from. For this reason, our company has QR CODE on the final packaging, so that the consumer can immediately see the entire course of the product process through the LOT NUMBER directly from the field to the shelf.
Gaiasense for the economy:
Our olive groves applied, as the first and only pilot cultivation from 2016 – 2019, a new pioneering for Greece and Europe three-year program called Intelligent Agriculture (Gaiasense), which was organized in collaboration with the Greek national body GAIA BUSINESS and Neuropublic company.
One of the goals of this program was to reduce production costs, which enabled the wider distribution of the product at a reduced price to the buying public and especially to the vulnerable groups of the Greek population.
This special cultivation program continues to be implemented today by the company YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE, but at the same time it is given by the Greek institution bodies for use to all Greek olive growers
The quality of the natural environment is the key factor for the “well-being” of the individual and for this reason, the company YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE through innovative actions has as its main axis its protection.
Gaiasense for environmental protection:
Our olive groves applied, as the first and only pilot cultivation from 2016 – 2019, a new pioneering for Greece and Europe three-year program called Intelligent Agriculture (Gaiasense), which was organized in collaboration with the Greek national body GAIA BUSINESS and Neuropublic company.
One of the goals of this program was to maximize environmental protection through controlled irrigation, fertilization and plant protection of the olive groves, and to increase the quality of the product.
This special cultivation program continues to be implemented today by the company YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE, but at the same time it is given by the Greek institution bodies for use to all Greek olive growers.
KRINOS Olive Center of the American Farm School:
The conditions of cultivation, harvesting and standardization of our company are under the care of the ” KRINOS Olive Center of the American Farm School”. Through special holistic programs and the scientific guidance of the ” KRINOS Olive Center” we manage to achieve top-quality products every year, based on the absolute protection of the environment. (Σήμα Σχολής)
As the most recent statistics indicate, there were 50 million patients with Alzheimer’s disease in 2020, and unfortunately the prospect is to launch in more than 150 million in 2050. In Greece the Alzheimer’s affects more than 1 million people, according to the president of the Panhellenic Federation of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders, Professor M. Tsolaki (Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Theologist).
Considering the words that Hippocrates from Kos (460 – 377 BC), the father of medical science, said: “Let our food to be our medicine and our medicine to be our food”, the philosophy of our company was formed based on the Mediterranean diet as our main approach to human health.
Our main belief is that we should always remember the people who forget and with innovative steps in collaboration with the scientific community, our purpose is to offer a non-pharmaceutical and economical approach to Alzheimer’s patients.
All people deserve to keep remembering.
All papers based on AD. CLINICAL TRIAL REGISTRATION: MICOIL: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03362996 are proving that:
- MASTER STUDY: A randomized clinical trial of Greek High Phenolic Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil in Mild Cognitive Impairment: the MICOIL pilot study.
(Magda Tsolaki, Eftychia Lazarou, Machi Kozori, Niki Petridou, Irene Tabakis , Ioulietta Lazarou, Maria Karakota, Iordanis Saoulidis, Eleni Melliou and Prokopios Magiatis, 2020).
Results: A long-term intervention with MICOIL product was associated with a significant improvement in cognitive function compared to the Mediterranean diet”.
- JAD: https://www.j-alz.com/content/randomized-clinical-trial-greek-high-phenolic-early-harvest-extra-virgin-olive-oil-mild
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki: https://www.auth.gr/news/press/28479
- Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33044178/
- Olive Health Information System (OHIS) and the International Olive council (IOC) : https://meddietolivehealth.com/a-randomized-clinical-trial-of-greek-high-phenolic-early-harvest-extra-virgin-olive-oil-in-mild-cognitive-impairment-the-micoil-pilot-study/
Administration of the extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) in mild cognitive impairment (MCI) patients as a therapy for preventing the progress to AD.
(Tzekaki Elena, 2019)
Results: The levels of the oxidative stress biomarker, malondialdehyde (MDA) showed a significant decrease in MCI patients subjected to MICOIL product therapy revealing the involvement of the beneficial antioxidative properties of the product in the progression of Alzheimer’s (AD). This study was awarded by the 5th International Medical Olympiad as an innovative one.
Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31802059/
Awarded with the second prize by the 5th International Medical Olympiad in 2019
- Polar phenols of virgin olive oil : an estimate of their content in commercial products to be used in a clinical study to prevent Mild Cognitive Impairment.
Prodromou I. Sofia (2020)
Results: It is showed that the cultivation and harvest process of the Yanni’s company are in excellent level using online satellite and meteorological data systems. During the olive oil milling either with laboratory or industrial practices of the MICOIL product shows a major phenolic content and also can preserve its high phenolic content it in time.
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki: https://search.lib.auth.gr/Record/1116660?lng=en
- Restoration of BMI1 levels after the administration of early harvest extra virgin olive oil as a therapeutic strategy against Alzheimer’s disease
(Elena E. Tzekaki, Angelos Papaspyropoulos, Magda Tsolaki, Eftychia Lazarou, Mahi Kozori and Anastasia A. Pantazaki, 2020)
Results: The study implies that MICOIL product, a completely natural product, may potentially act as an alternative therapy for preventing AD onset. Restoration of BMI1 activity by the proposed one year supplementation could represent a therapeutic modality for AD, hence having an important impact on the design of future therapeutic strategies for AD prevention.
- Experimental Gerontology (2020) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S053155652030526X?via%3Dihub
- Greek High Phenolic Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil Reduces the Over-Excitation of Information Flow-based on Dominant Coupling Mode Model in patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment: An EEG Resting-State Validation Approach
(Stavros Dimitriadis, Christos Lyssoudis, Anthoula Tsolaki, Eftychia Lazarou, Mahi Kozori, Magda Tsolaki, 2021)
Results: The present study investigated for the very first time how the Greek High Phenolic Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil (HP-EH-EVOO) versus Moderate Phenolic (MP-EVOO) and Mediterranean Diet (MeDi) intervention in people with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) could affect their spontaneous brain dynamic connectivity.
As a result, Long-term intervention with MICOIL product reduced the over-excitation of information flow in spontaneous brain activity. Our study confirms the non-pharmaceutical intervention based on Yanni’s MICOIL product in MCI increases the human brain flexibility.
- Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease:
- The pleiotropic beneficial intervention of olive oil intake on the Alzheimer’s disease onset via fibrinolytic system.
(Elena E. Tzekaki, Magda Tsolaki, Anastasia A. Pantazaki, George Geromichalos, Eftychia Lazarou, Mahi Kozori, Zacharias Sinakos, 2021)
Important in this work is that the standard biomarkers characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease of the MCI patient group, administered for one year with MICOIL product, were restored to levels equal to those of the cognitive-healthy group, in contrast to those patients who were not administered and whose levels of these biomarkers of the disease increased at the end of the year.
In addition, one of the multimodal effects of consuming MICOIL product in MCI patients focused on measuring the levels of a characteristic oxidative stress index, which showed a noticeable decrease in its levels, which means that by consuming MICOIL product for a year oxidative stress is reduced.
- Experimental Gerontology (2021)
- The multifunctional therapeutic potentiality of extra virgin olive oil administration through the intervention in pathophysiological mechanisms: Focus on Alzheimer’s disease
(Tzekaki E, Prodromou S, Tsolaki M, and Pantazaki Α, 2021)
Results: Proper dietary habits pave the way for a good and healthy life in order to maintain and prolong the quality of life. It is well known that quality of life in the elderly can be achieved by non-pharmacological approaches such as performing physical activity, cognitive training, or adhering to a Mediterranean Diet (MedDiet). The MedDiet is suggested as the prevalent dietary regimen and is strongly correlated with prevention of degenerative diseases and longevity. The most distinguished and beneficial ingredient of MedDiet is extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Indeed, numerous epidemiological studies have proved that the consumption of olive oil was associated with better overall health. The foremost component of EVOO is polyphenolic compounds which are under investigation for its biological and pharma-nutritional properties. In this review we recorded several representative in vitro and in vivo studies performed in culture cell lines, in animal or clinical trials on humans, indicating that the regular intake of MICOIL product is associated with enhanced neuroprotective, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-atherosclerotic, anti-cancer and anti-microbial properties.
- GSC Advanced Research and Reviews, 2021: https://doi.org/10.30574/gscarr.2021.7.1.0081
- Extra Virgin olive Oil consumption from Mild Cognitive Impairment patients attenuates oxidative and nitrative stress reflecting on the reduction of the PARP levels and DNA damage
(Tzekaki E, Tsolaki M, Geromichalos G, and Pantazaki Α, under publication)
Results: Oxidative/and nitrative stress can cause DNA damage, which has shown to be involved in the pathology of Alzheimer’s disease. One of the effects of consuming the product MICOIL by patients with MCI, which focused on measuring the levels of a characteristic indicator of oxidative stress, showed a visible decrease in its levels, which means that by consuming the product for one year reduces oxidative stress.
In this work these results were supplemented by showing an important finding that this reduction also has an impact on the reduction of the characteristic markers of DNA damage. That is, the administration of MICOIL to patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) resulted in the restoration of DNA damage markers as well as the established biomarkers “characteristics” of Alzheimer’s disease, possibly thanks to its antioxidant properties that have therapeutic potential against disease that was not observed in patients who were not given extra virgin olive oil.
In addition, bioinformatics studies have shown that MICOIL components interact with enzymes in the DNA repair mechanism.
Experimental Gerontology, (2021) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34748951/
According to the President of the Panhellenic Federation of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders, Professor M. Tsolaki (Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Theologist):
“Alzheimer’s disease was first described in 1906 by the German psychiatrist and neuropathologist A. Alzheimer. This disease destroys the – navigation system of man in space and time and has a very large number of patients.
The YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE team stands by these patients because our belief is that we should always remember people who forget.
Panhellenic Federation of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders: YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE supports the Federation’s goals in all its scientific, social and philanthropic activities, through its General Managing Director E. Psounou, who has the honors to serve as General Secretary of the Federation’s Board. (Σήμα και link Ομοσπονδίας, με το εξής … μάθε περισσότερα για την Ομοσπονδία) http://www.alzheimer-federation.gr/index.php/about-us
PANHELLENIC INSTITUTE OF NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES: YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE as an official sponsor supports the aims of the Institute in all its scientific, social and charitable activities. (Σήμα και link Ινστιτούτου, με το εξής … μάθε περισσότερα για το Ινστιτούτο) http://www.pindis.gr/
Greek Association of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders (Alzheimer Hellas): YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE as an official sponsor supports the purposes of ALZHEIMER HELLAS in every scientific, social and charitable event. (Σήμα και link ALZHEIMER HELLAS, με το εξής … μάθε περισσότερα για την ALZHEIMER HELLAS) http://www.alzheimer-hellas.gr/index.php/el/home/aboutus
- Nutrition and health
EVOO is the superior category of olive oil and it is the juice of olive fruits (Olea europea L), which is produced obtained directly from olives and solely by mechanical means and it is classified in detail by the following names, depending on its content of free fatty acids (acidity) and with some very high quality features, which are provided for each category:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 0,8 %), where it is included the early Harvest EVOO.
- Virgin Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 2 %)
- Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 3,3 %)
- Refined Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 0,3 %)
- Olive Oil mixed with Refined and Virgin without Lampante Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 1 %)
- Lampante Olive Oil (acidity > 2,0 %)
- Paw Olive Oil Pomace (acidity ≤ 1 %)
- Refined Olive Oil Pomace (acidity ≤ 0,3 %)
- Olive Oil Pomace mixed with Refined Olive Oil Pomace and Virgin Olive Oil (acidity ≤ 1 %)
Polyphenols are natural antioxidants which may provide health and strength to the human body.
They help to reduce the likelihood of several diseases by providing strong anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties, within the context of a varied and balanced diet.
We feel very proud, because our EVOOs belong to the highest class among the Greek EVOOs and they are naturally rich in beneficial ingredients, which help the human body to improve its physical functions.
Concentration and sensory characteristics
70- 250 ppm: pleasantly sweet flavour and light fruity aroma.
250- 350 ppm: intensely fruity aroma with enough bitterness and pungent aftertaste.
350- 450 ppm: rousing fruity aroma, but quite tolerable bitter taste and intensely pungent aftertaste.
450 ppm και άνω: rousing fruity aroma, very bitter taste, and intensely pungent aftertaste; destined for human consumption, these characteristics of extra virgin olive oil must be very carefully balanced, given especially the particularity of its bitterness
Olive products, mainly green early harvest extra virgin olive oil, exhibit high concentrations of polyphenols such as hydroxy-tyrosol, tyrosol, oleacein, oleuropein, oleocanthal, which are natural antioxidants providing a shield for our health. They help to reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular diseases and along with monounsaturated fatty acids and vitamins, they help the body neutralize free radicals thus reducing the risk of several diseases by providing strong anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties. Polyphenols help to the protection of blood lipids from oxidative stress, within the context of a varied and balanced diet.
The olive paste contains 2-5% phenolic substances. A rate of 1-4% g / L leave with the plant liquids during oil extraction and at the end, a rate of 700-900 mg / L (ppm) remains in the final product, depending of course on the accuracy of processing and storage conditions.
The taste of extra virgin olive oil is directly related to its content in phenols and its colour moves from yellow to bright green depending on the chlorophyll content, that is, depending on how ripe or unripe the olive fruit was, when the extra virgin olive oil was extracted (evoo).
The bitter taste is due to the phenolic compound oleacein while the spicy one, to oleocanthal.
They are essential for our cells to function properly. They participate in most of the biochemical processes that take place daily in our body, regulate metabolism, facilitate the release of energy, and maintain our good health. There are different vitamins, which are classified into two groups: water-soluble vitamins (water-soluble) and fat-soluble vitamins (fat-soluble). Fat dissolvers are absorbed by the fat and stored in the body. In contrast, water-soluble vitamins (with the exception of vitamin B12) are not stored in the body. This inability to store for a long time as well as the inability of the human body to biosynthesize them makes their daily intake in sufficient quantities necessary.
It is one of the most important fat-soluble antioxidants, as it has anti-inflammatory action and stimulates the immune system. At the same time, it has anti-aging properties, as its antioxidant action contributes to the neutralization of free radicals produced daily by our cells, thus protecting the body from oxidative stress, a factor that contributes significantly to most cell diseases. As the main antioxidant, it protects the membrane that surrounds the body’s cells, especially red blood cells and leukocytes (immune system cells). It has been linked by scientific studies of protection against diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, heart disease and eye diseases.
ALZHEIMER AND VITAMIN Ε:
According to a study published in a prestigious medical journal, the daily intake of vitamin E in patients with mild Alzheimer’s disease significantly slowed the progression of this incurable disease.
- New England Journal of Medicine (1997, 336: 11 – 12)
- (Farina, N., Llewellyn, D., Isaac, M. G. E. K. N., & Tabet, N. (2017). Vitamin E for Alzheimer’s dementia and mild cognitive impairment. In the Cochrane database of systematic reviews (Vol. 4, p. CD002854). https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002854.pub5)
CANCER AND VITAMIN Ε :
Numerous epidemiological studies have shown that high levels of vitamin E in the blood are associated with lower rates of cancer.
A study found that patients with the highest levels of vitamin E in the blood were 5 times less likely to develop cancer than those with the lowest levels.
- (British J Cancer, 49, 1984, 321-24).
Several studies have confirmed the link between low levels of vitamin E in the blood plasma and the risk of developing many forms of cancer. The research found that this mainly values for epithelial cancers.
- (Intern J Epidem, 17, 1988, 281 86)
- (Brigham and Women’s Hospital. (2019, January 8). Genetics may influence the effects of vitamin E on cancer risk. ScienceDaily. Retrieved April 11, 2020 from sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190108125508.htm)
- (Jiang, Q. (2017). Natural Forms of Vitamin E as Effective Agents for Cancer Prevention and Therapy. Advances in Nutrition: An International Review Journal, 8(6), 850–867. https://doi.org/10.3945/an.117.016329).
HEART DISEASE AND VITAMIN Ε:
Vitamin E binds to the free active forms of oxygen in the body, protecting biological indicators from oxidation, which in turn causes both bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides as well as DNA oxidation. Oxidation of biomarkers may have several negative effects, including atherosclerotic plaque. This plaque can lead to problems such as a heart attack or stroke if any parts of it are detached.
A double-blind study found a slowdown in the development of all arterial lesions in men with coronary heart disease who received vitamin E.
- (JAMA, 273(23), 1995, 1849-54).
- (Chae, C. U., Albert, C. M., Moorthy, M. v., Lee, I. M., & Buring, J. E. (2012). Vitamin E supplementation and the risk of heart failure in women. Circulation: Heart Failure, 5(2), 176–182. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.111.963793)
- (Hu, X. X., Fu, L., Li, Y., Lin, Z. B., Liu, X., Wang, J. F., Chen, Y. X., Wang, Z. P., Zhang, X., Ou, Z. J., & Ou, J. S. (2015). The cardioprotective effect of Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) is strongly related to age and gender in mice. PLoS ONE, 10(9). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0137405)
EYE & OTHER DISEASES AND VITAMIN Ε:
Vitamin E reduces platelet aggregation, prevents blood clots, lowers blood pressure, prevents cataracts, heals, and reduces scarring.
Study by the National Ophthalmological Institute of the USA showed that regular intake of natural vitamin E reduces the risk of cataracts by at least 30%
- (Ophthal, 1998, 831 – 36).
- (Braakhuis, A. J., Donaldson, C. I., Lim, J. C., & Donaldson, P. J. (2019). Nutritional strategies to prevent lens cataract: Current status and future strategies. In Nutrients (Vol. 11, Issue 5). MDPI AG. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11051186)
RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS AND VITAMIN Ε:
Vitamin E improves blood circulation, repairing tissue damage and it is useful in treating the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and rheumatoid (ankylosing) spondylitis, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
According to a study of elderly people with respiratory problems, their lung function improved with an increase in vitamin E in their diet.
- (Am J Resp Med, 1996, 154: 1401-04)
- (Chin, K. Y., & Ima-Nirwana, S. (2018). The Role of Vitamin E in Preventing and Treating Osteoarthritis – A Review of the Current Evidence. Frontiers in pharmacology, 9, 946. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.00946)
It is necessary for blood clotting, preventing bleeding, as it helps to create the prothrombin needed for blood clotting. It also helps to conduct bone mineralization, because it promotes the stabilization of calcium in the bone structure.
Unsaturated Fatty Acids
The early harvest EVOO is mostly made up of (98%) lipids, most of which are monounsaturated fatty acids. Fatty acids are very popular for their beneficial effects on our health, but their main representative is oleic acid (omega – 9) which has been shown that protects against cardiovascular disease, diabetes and boost good cholesterol.
The early harvest EVOO also contains polyunsaturated fatty acids such as (ALA) α-linolenic acid (omega – 3) fatty acid and (LA) linoleic acid (omega – 6), which must be taken daily with food as they are essential fatty acids for the normal functioning of the body (essential fatty acids, EFAs).
In the past, these two polyunsaturated fatty acids (together) were called vitamin F.
- (Dimopoulos &, Antonopoulou: Athens 2000, ” Basic Biochemistry”)
Omega – 9
Oleic acid is the key representative of the fatty acid’s class. It exists in very high concentrated in early harvest EVOO and also it has the highest concentration compared to other fatty acids. It has been found that has an important antioxidant role as it increases the resistance of cells to oxidation.
Omega – 6
Omega-6 fatty acids are extremely important for the proper functioning of our body. One of the most important is linoleic acid (LA), which is essential for the body, because its lack in large quantities would cause the death of our cells. Most of the researches shows that Omega-6 fatty acids have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, making them important factors in protection against chronic diseases such as malignant neoplasms, diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and arthritis.
- (Curr. Pharm. Biotechnolo. 7:531-534, 2006 PubMed).
- (Patterson, E., Wall, R., Fitzgerald, G. F., Ross, R. P., & Stanton, C. (2012). Health implications of high dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated Fatty acids. Journal of nutrition and metabolism, 2012, 539426. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/539426)
Omega – 3
Omega-3 fatty acids help preventing blood clots and arteriosclerosis. One of the main omega-3 fatty acids is α-linolenic acid (ALA), which is a structural component of our cell membranes. It helps in the process of energy production in the cells, protecting the body from oxidative stress, neutralizes free radicals and gives very good results to the skin, as it helps to slow down the aging process (oxidative stress of skin cells).
In addition, it protects brain cells from the action of harmful substances and may have positive effects on Alzheimer’s disease or other memory impairments.
- (Brain Res, 2000;855:292-297)
- (Free Radic Biol Med, 1995, 19, 227-250)
- (Danielle Swanson, Robert Block, Shaker A. Mousa, Omega-3 Fatty Acids EPA and DHA: Health Benefits Throughout Life, Advances in Nutrition, Volume 3, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 1–7, https://doi.org/10.3945/an.111.000893)
- (Nichols, P. D., McManus, A., Krail, K., Sinclair, A. J., & Miller, M. (2014). Recent advances in omega- 3: Health Benefits, Sources, Products and Bioavailability. Nutrients, 6(9), 3727–3733. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu6093727)
Many studies have shown that it helps preventing cataracts and protects the eyes from ultraviolet radiation, as it acts in addition to vitamins C and E, enhancing their action.
- (Free Radic Res, 1996, 25, 337-346)
- (Free Rad Biol Med, 1995,18, 823-829).
In addition, in patients with glaucoma, their vision improved significantly
- (Vestn Oftalmol, 1995, 111, 6—06).
- Our family
Our olive groves, our facilities and our whole life are rooted in Chalkidiki, and especially in the small seaside town of Nea Potidea. The town is surrounded on three sides by the sea and has an altitude of 20m. It is situated at the entrance of the peninsula of Kassandra and boosts a rich history. It is a wonderful place where we live and raise our two children, teaching them to love nature, the earth, and its fruits.
Yanni himself inherited this olive tree farming love from his father Nikos, who first planted the olive trees only with the best olive tree varieties of Chalkidiki.
Our company produces either PDO olives from Chalkidiki, or Agoureleo PDO Chalkidiki EVOO and a series of Early Harvesting of Extra Virgin Olive Oils of the highest quality.
Our vision is to advocate our country’s rich food tradition by producing entirely natural products of especially high quality, rich in beneficial ingredients, which contribute to human health.
Our family believes that your family deserves only the best !
In our groves one can find only the local olive tree varieties of Chalkidiki. The most popular ones are CHONDROELIA and GALANI. The know-how and the tradition we have inherited from the elders however, led us to the decision to cultivate the variety of CHONDROELIA grafted into the WILD olive tree of Chalkidiki. This resulted in an excellent product, an extra virgin olive oil with very unique and bold features.
Furthermore, the whole growing process is under the guidance of the KRINOS Olive Center of American Farm School of Thessaloniki.
We strongly believe that in order to produce extra virgin olive oil of the highest quality, one needs a deep knowledge of the tradition of one’s land. Yet, products of excellent quality such as ours, also require the guidance of science and up-to-date technology.
For this reason, we maintain a close cooperation with specialists from universities and accredited laboratories, who study the needs of our trees in nutrients and have integrated all of our olive groves (total of 6500 trees) in an integrated management system. Together, we apply regular organoleptic and chemical analyses on all products at frequent intervals in order to be able to control the quality at all times, while university studies enable us to monitor the sustainability of our green early harvest extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin olive oils.
Moreover, our production process is ISO 22000 and HACCP 9001 certified, and certain products are AGROCERT certified.
Selection / Harvest
Harvesting begins on 15 – 20th of September and is done exclusively by hand in order to avoid any damage to the olive fruit, which could consequently cause its degradation, because of the oxidation.
Our olives are then transported, within a few hours, in ventilated plastic crates of 20-22kg capacity. They are carefully picked out by hand, one by one, so that only the flawless ones will be transferred again in large ventilated plastic bins of 400kg capacity, either to the mill for olive oil extraction, or to the processing and packaging plant for edible black and green olive production process.
The olives arrive there only within a few hours from their harvesting, on the very same day, which we consider to be essential for the maintenance of the freshness of our green early harvest extra virgin olive oil as well as edible olives.
Extraction / standardization of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the purpose of maintaining its aroma, flavor and the maximum of its functional ingredients, our green early harvest extra virgin olive oil is extracted in a two – phase mill at 22 degrees (oC.). The malaxation is done at a slow speed in no longer than 25 minutes, to avoid formation of emulsions.
The produced green early harvest extra virgin olive oil is then immediately transferred to stainless steel tanks with automatically controlled storage temperature at 16 oC and continuous nitrogen flow to avoid oxidation.
The company’s bottling is just around the olive groves and is certified by EL 40347. In these ideal conditions the CHALKIDIKI, P.D.O EVOO and the other types of green early harvest extra virgin olive oils of CHALKIDIKI remain fresh until the last drop.
Process / Standardization of olive snack
The large sized fresh harvested olives are transported in large ventilated plastic tanks to our olive processing plant certified with EL40347. There the olives are washed and placed in processing tanks with a capacity of 7000kg, in which the debittering/curing process begins and lasts for approximately 3 – 7 months. After this stage, the olives sorted and finally graded and they are ready for the next processing stage, which involves pitting and slicing in halves. The following production step in 250Kgr barrels eliminate the salt content from the olives. Finally, there is the packaging in stand-up pouches under modified atmosphere, where the wonderful sour – sweet taste is preserved.
The tradition of olive growing is matched with modern practices and respect for the environment. Our belief is that it is also essential that the consumer will be able to learn about the whole process of creating the final product before he or she picks it from the shelf. For this reason, our company YANNI’S OLIVE GROVE organized and adopted the product’s traceability table which makes it very simple to follow the product’s “journey” from the tree to the shelf or the table. Using a LOT NUMBER which can be seen on the outer package, one can immediately trace out the exact field of origin of the product, as well as information about the mill, the bottling process and generally the whole production chain, and the technical data of it.
You may begin your journey !